Tuesday, December 16, 2008

tickles

Tickling is strange, because it's a gesture of love that hurts the beloved. The laughter reflex is at the same time the beloved's vice and protection. It encourages more tickling, but it's also the only way to relieve the tension.

Sometimes I feel like my heart is being tickled. When I can laugh, it's not so bad. It even feels good. But sometimes I can't laugh. My brain decides to protect my heart from more tickling, so it hides my laugh where I can't find it. And then there's no way to relieve the tension.

So, I try to fight it. My heart is tough. It can handle poking and stabbing and squeezing and punching. But tickling? I don't have a defense built up for this. It's so light, I don't know how to fight it.

I can't fight it out
I can't laugh it in
So the fingers linger on my heart,
slowly crawling along with painfully little friction
The corners of my mouth rise obediently,
but they wobble on shaky nervous muscles,
which quietly endure the pain

3 comments:

colleen said...

Ahahaha
I LOVE TICKLING YOU! And I'm sorry that it causes you so much pain.

Rory said...

ahahaha no it's okay, i laugh when you tickle me!
plus, i'm not afraid of hitting you. lol

Jess said...

this is a cool perspective on tickling that i've never even considered before...but have always felt. I love it when writing speaks my feelings for me that I couldn't previously find words for!! If that makes sense haha